Thursday, April 29, 2010

Of grandmas and transistors

via
Last weekend, I, with my mom, bought my grandmother a transistor radio. I do not know if you still know how that looks like. Just see above and that's pretty much it.

Anyway, the old woman wanted something as simple as that. Really, right? I mean, ipods, iphones, cd players, or at least an MP3. Hello!? So she’s not the least techie at all.

Mom said that we must buy her the radio 'cause that's the only thing that's keeping her sane in her little estate.  And at least "before she dies." That last phrase pricks my heart.  But mom meant it in a good kind of way.

Truly, my grandma is just on her way towards there.  I'm trying to accept that.  But every time I visit her, I'm convinced to believe otherwise because she remains a strong and stubborn woman.

She's at least 85 years old, I guess.  But she cooks by herself, fetches water, washes her own clothes, goes to church, manages her little farm..  Maybe that is why amidst the several stroke attempts and her failing eyesight, she survives at this time.  She has got an active lifestyle!  More active than I am.  See me seating on my butt, typing, reading blogs.. Oh, my pretty, little, easy life.

But mind you, when she was younger and had double the vigor, she was a bitchy woman.  Well, not to us her dear grandchildren.

Know the story of a wicked mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law?  She was THAT mother-in-law.  You know, the typical kind.

She did not favor my mom for his eldest son, even though they were married already and had two kids. She managed to keep my father away from his family.  (Yes, my dad belonged to a category.) As if that were not enough, grandma took us, the children, away from my mom. 

That kind of typical.

Oh, she was a bitch.

But I loved her.  And I still do.

Mom never once instilled hatred in our hearts for her.  Even though, I know, that was such a damned hard time she gave her.

I call her Mamalola. 

When I was little, she let me "ride" on her legs and feet while they swing.  When I hurt my knees with wound from a fall, she would patch it up with some herbals.  She made sure the floor was always sqeaky-clean when I and my sibling used to literally crawl on the floor.  She made us the tastiest donuts ever!


via

So back to the radio. 

Mamalola enjoyed it. Just like you would an ipod :)  So kudos for me and my mom!

What kind of a grandma or grandpa do you have? Fond memories?  Only if you feel like answering those.  Otherwise, a "nice post" would do. I'm kidding.

16 comments:

Emily Jane said...

I want one of those little radios!! Where on earth did you find one?

My nan taught me how to bake, how to iron, and how to properly drink a cup of tea (pouring it from up high so it got little bubbles on the top, so you could slurp them up and make a wish!)

Cheryl said...

Are you seriously saying you don't know her age? C'mon woman, find out won't you please?

Grandmothers were rough. My grandfathers were my saviours and best friends. Still miss them both even though it's been 47 years and 26 years since they've been gone.

Quick question. Do you get a no-reply email address when you try to respond to my comments?

Niki said...

My husband has one that his grandmother left to him, they are so cool!

My grandmother and grandmother are the best people i have ever met....they are kind, sweet and tell you "i love you" all the time. Don't get me wrong, my Nanny is one tough Sicilian woman, but i love her to death.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

My maternal grandma passed away when I was around 10 or 11, so I unfortunately do not have alot of memories of her. her memory has been kept alive by my aunts & uncles, though. She had such a 'larger than life' personality and I still remember what her laugh sounded like!

My paternal grandma is still alive and is the only living grandparent I have. She is amazing. I believe she is 86 and she emails. how cool is that? She lives less than a mile from my parents so I spent a ton of time at her house when I was growing up.

I get nervous that she will never get to meet my future husband. She is in really good health, but I don't even have a potential, so there is a good chance that she will pass before I meet my future husband, which makes me sad. My grandpa passed last February and I was so sad that he wasn't goign to be at my wedding because I basically adored him and spent every day w/ him before I went to school. But it's out of my control!

Mishieru said...

Wow! Never thought transistors still exists. I used to listen to radio dramas with that kind when i was a kid.

I remember bringing food for my grandpa while he was still tending a little farm back then. I am not close to him though coz he was not my real grandpa. He was my father's uncle but they were the ones who took care of my father when he was still young.

i'm no miss said...

@ Emily Jane

Fortunately, we still have those here sold at really low prices.

Haha, now I know that you can make a wish over a cup of tea. Cool!


@Cheryl

Oh, I know, when I was writing that I was like "So un-thoughtful of me." But seriously, I forget even the bith years of my mom and dad. I know their birthdays though. But sure I'll find out and I'll try not to forget again:)

I have not met my maternal grandma and grandpa. They were both gone before I was born.

I'm sure they were lovely oldies..

Your question- no, I don't think so. I think, it's my email that's not there. Sorry, I'm working on that..


@Niki

Ha! You bet so.

My grandma or grandpa, i think they never said "i love you" to me or any of their grandchildren. I guess they are just not vocal. But when they seem teary-eyed you know that they are happy and love you to death :)


@Lisa
Ohh, that mae me a bit sad too.

When I got married, my grandma was not there. She was just too old to travel. It made me really sad.

I hope your grandma would still get to meet your guy soon. :)


@Mishieru

Hehe, I and my brother did too. I loved those times. We used to listen to some scary kind of kid's drama at 6pm wanting kids home around that time.

You were still lucky to have a "grandpa" right.

Gnetch said...

My paternal grandmother also likes transistors. Hehe. I actually find them cute.

As for your question, my maternal grandmother is a monster. My paternal grandmother is an angel. Hehe.

Talli Roland said...

That photo of the radio is beautiful! I'll trade in my iPod anytime. I have one grandmother who lives far far away, so I don't get to see her much. I think of her often, though.

jozen said...

love this post! my girls call my lola, lolamama, because she is their great grandma but it is just too long ( and not flip) so it's lolamama.

Ratz said...

That is a sweet honest post. I am not at all close with my grandparents. I don't remember them much and infact don't want to. They weren't really nice people so it's not like my loss or something. Thanks for following my blog. I hope that you enjoyed it.

Jennifer said...

You have an awesome blog too. I returned the favor and am following you too.

My grandpa is pretty awesome. He built me whatever I asked for my whole childhood. Even a dollhouse. As long as I didn't open his fridge.

Alexandra Crocodile said...

I have the kind of crazy grandmother who shovels snow in the shape of a labyrinth in the garden so the cat can roam freely in winter.

The Empress said...

Oh, this gave me goosebumps.

My life was/is similar. I've thought of writing an ode to my grandmother often, but it would take a week of posts.
Lita would ride us on her ankles, while she sat, bopping us up and down and singing giddyup songs.

Oh, I loved her. She saved us from my mother, who was/is a crazy woman.

Goodness. WOnderful reading.
Thank you for bringing me over here. I feel instantly at home.

Yenta Mary said...

This is so much fun to read along with! Thank you for the fabulous start to my day, with your lovely comment about my blog ... :)

foodfloozie.blogspot.com
twitter.com/foodfloozie

Whosyergurl said...

Hi, Cheryl here from Whosyergurl...thanks for stoppin in...
"I'm no miss." as in "MS. to you?" I love to it when people say "Mrs.? or Miss?" and I say "MS."
Sounds like you are making peace w/granny now. Did the radio really look like that? coolness!
I was blessed with three amazing, strong women in my life. Were they all angels? Nope. 2/3 where...but my paternal Grandma taught me how to cuss and not to take any crap off of no one. She and Grandpa were best friends, but I remember Christmas dinners when we would have to stop opening gifts so that they could go into the bedroom to yell at each other.
For real!
Hoosier hugs, Cheryl

Emma! said...

I was lucky enough to grow up with my other grandma in my house...she was so special to me! When we would wait for the bus outside in the morning for school she would throw candy bars out the window at us :) I miss her!